en.mercacei.com
Olive Oil Consumption in Spain falls 0.7 liters per person during the last five years

Olive Oil Consumption in Spain falls 0.7 liters per person during the last five years

2017/22/11 - During the last five years, the consumption of olive oil in Spain has fallen 0.7 liters per person and the expense has increased by 8.1 euros per capita, according to the report that the Spanish agency Mercasa elaborates annually based on the information provided by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Food and Environment through the Panels of Food Consumption.

The report shows that, during 2016, Spanish households consumed 373.5 million liters of olive oil and spent 1,355.4 million euros on this product. In per capita terms, consumption reached 8.5 liters and spending amounted to 30.9 euros. The most notable consumption corresponds to non-virgin olive oil (5 liters per person per year), followed by virgin olive oil (3.5 liters per capita). As for spending, non-virgin olive oil concentrates 54%, with a total of 16.7 euros per person, while virgin olive oil accounts for the remaining 46% with a total of 14.2 euros per person.

In the period 2012-2016, the consumption of olive oil has fallen 0.7 liters per person although the expense has increased by 8.1 euros per capita. The highest consumption occurred in 2013 (9.3 liters), while the highest expenditure took place in 2016 (30.9 euros per consumer). In the olive oil family, the evolution of per capita consumption during the 2012-2016 period has been different for each type of product. Regarding the demand for 2012, the consumption of extra virgin oil remains stable, decreasing in virgin oil.

In terms of per capita, the consumption of olive oil during 2016 has different characteristics. Thus, households of upper and upper-middle class have the highest consumption, while those of lower-middle class have the lowest consumption. Households without children consume more quantity of olive oil, while the lowest consumption is registered in households with children under six years of age.

According to Mercasa, consumers who reside in large cities (municipalities with more than 500,000 inhabitants) have the highest per capita consumption of olive oil, while the lowest consumption is recorded in the population centers with censuses of 2,000 to 10,000 inhabitants. By Autonomous Communities, Galicia, Cantabria and Asturias concentrate the highest volume of consumption, while the lowest demand is located in Castilla-La Mancha, Valencia and Murcia.

Finally, in terms of the place of purchase, in 2016 households mainly used supermarkets (63.5% market share) and hypermarkets (23.6%) to purchase olive oil, very much in front of stores and cooperatives (2.8%), specialized establishments (1.5%), self-consumption (0.9%) and the rest of commercial forms, which accounted for the remaining 7.7%.

Table olives
During 2016, Spanish households consumed 112.4 million kilos of olives and spent 321.3 million euros on this product. In per capita terms, 2.6 kilos of consumption and 7.3 euros of expenditure were reached. The most notable consumption is associated with filled stuffed olives (1 kilo per person per year), followed by olives packed with bone (0.6 kilograms per capita). In terms of expenditure, stuffed filled olives concentrate 32.9% of the expense, with a total of 2.4 euros per person, followed by the olives packed with bone, with a percentage of 17.8% and a total of 1, 3 euros per person per year.

During the last five years, the consumption of olives has increased 300 grams per person and the spending has also increased by 90 cents per capita. In the period 2012-2016, the highest consumption occurred in the years 2014 and 2016 (2.6 kilos), while the highest expenditure took place in the years 2013, 2014 and 2016 (7.3 euros per consumer).


Regarding the place of purchase, in 2016 Spanish households returned to the supermarkets, which brought together a 64.5% market share. Much more behind are hypermarkets (11.9%) and specialized establishments (9%). Self-consumption represents a share of 7.9% and street markets account for 1.5%, while other commercial forms complete the remaining 5.2%.

Compartir en Google Bookmarks Compartir en Meneame enviar a reddit compartir en Tuenti